The Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus is situated within the archaeological site of the Sanctuary of Asklepios, in the Argolis prefecture of the Peloponnese. It is a half-hour drive from Nafplio and approximately two hours from Athens.
By Bus (KTEL)
Specially scheduled buses make return trips to the theatre on performance days. The routes are as follows:
- Athens - Ancient Epidaurus - Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus: departure: 17:00, return ticket 19€.
- Theatre - Athens: 15 minutes after the end of each performance.
- Nafplio - Theatre: Departure: 19:30.
- Argos - Theatre: departure: 19:00.
- Tolo - Theatre: departure: 19:00.
- Ancient Epidaurus - Theatre: departure: 20:00.
From Argolida and Troizina, there will be specially scheduled buses when there are enough passengers. The routes depart from the ancient theatre 15 minutes after the end of the performance. The ticket prices are:
- Athens - Theatre: return ticket 19€
- Nafplio - Theatre: return ticket 8€
- Argos - Theatre: return ticket 8€
- Epidaurus - Theatre: return ticket 6€
For more information, please contact:
KTEL Argolidas (Athens)
100 Kifissou Avenue
104 42 Athens
Telephone: +30 210 51 34 588
KTEL Argolidas (Nafplion)
8 Syggrou Str.
Τelephone: +30 27520 27423, +30 27520 27323
From Athens: Follow the signs for Corinth and exit the Athens-Corinth Motorway immediately after crossing the bridge over the Corinth Canal. Keep in the right-hand lane, pass underneath the Motorway, and then turn left onto the Corinth-Epidaurus B-road in the direction of Epidaurus. Follow the signs for the Epidaurus Ancient Theatre; in about an hour, having passed Nea Epidavros and Palea Epidavros, you arrive at the Lygourio crossroads; turn left here for the Sanctuary of Asklepios.
From Nafplion: Drive through Lygourio town and head for the archaeological site of the Sanctuary of Asklepios.
The theatre car park has plenty of spaces for cars and coaches.
Wheelchair users are granted vehicular access to the square of the theatre. Special adapted portable toilets are available.
Tickets are available at the Festival’s lowest price bracket (student tickets).
Please note that the following are not permitted:
- Entry into the theatre after the start of a performance, except during an interval.
- The attendance of children under the age of six.
- Smoking, and the consumption of food and drink inside the theatre.
- The use of mobile phones during performances.
- Entry into the theatre in high heels.
- Photography, with or without flash, and sound or video recording during a performance.
- The tipping of staff.
Please note that discarded food and drink - and especially chewing gum - can damage this historical monument irreparably. As you leave, therefore, be sure to put all litter and rubbish in the waste baskets provided.